Vivid Sydney cancelled for second year due to ‘ongoing uncertainty’

The New South Wales Government has announced Vivid Sydney will be cancelled for the second year in a row amid the state's ongoing COVID lockdown.

The cancellation comes after the event was initially postponed earlier this year to September.

It has now been completely canned due to "ongoing uncertainty" and to "minimise the impact on event attendees, partners, artists, sponsors and suppliers".

NSW Minister for Jobs, Investment and Tourism Stuart Ayres said the "disappointing" decision was made as it was the "responsible" choice.

READ MORE: Man charged over alleged sexual assault of Brittany Higgins

Vivid Sydney - Light, Music and Ideas, NSW (August 6-28)

"It's incredibly disappointing to cancel for the second year, but the most responsible decision was to cancel early, giving everyone certainty and minimising impacts where possible," Mr Ayres said.

"The health and safety of our community is our highest priority, which is why we're encouraging everyone to get vaccinated so we can get back to enjoying COVID-safe events again soon."

Despite the event's 2021 cancellation, Mr Ayres said that preparation was already underway for Vivid's 2022 return.

"As we work together to contain the current outbreak and get our community vaccinated, we can all look forward to the return of major events like Vivid Sydney that bring us together in celebration," Mr Ayres said.

"Our artists and creative industries are so eager to put on a show, and we can't wait to see the Harbour City shining brightly again.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *