Sixth fatality from Liverpool Hospital coronavirus outbreak

A sixth person has died from coronavirus as a consequence of the outbreak at Liverpool Hospital in Sydney's south-west.

The man in his 80s, who died from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, acquired his infection as part of the outbreak.

The man from south-west Sydney tested positive on July 29.

LIVE UPDATES: Three more deaths linked to Sydney outbreak

Six people have died after catching coronavirus at Liverpool Hospital.

There have now been seven staff, and a student nurse and 29 patients impacted by the outbreak at Liverpool Hospital.

The virus was spread in the hospital by a nurse who had only received the first of two doses of AstraZeneca.

Six people have died.

"The exposures occurred on a geriatric and neurology ward and these patients were receiving the best possible care but sadly many are older and have health conditions which leave them very vulnerable to the harmful effects of COVID," Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said.

"Staff at Liverpool Hospital are providing care and support for these patients in extremely difficult circumstances.

"The hospital is one of the busiest in the state.

"The death of any patient is felt deeply by the healthcare professionals who care for them and a situation like this is tragic for everyone."

The Liverpool Hospital outbreak has infected seven staff, a student nurse and 29 patients.

READ MORE: Woman who died from COVID-19 caught virus from infected nurse

A woman in her 80s also died at Liverpool Hospital overnight from coronavirus however her infection was not related to the hospital cluster, Dr Chant said.

Of the 356 locally acquired coronavirus cases in NSW in the past 24 hours, 113 are from south-west Sydney.

The daughter of one of the Liverpool outbreak fatalities told 9News last week that her mother was unvaccinated and had been afraid to get the AstraZeneca jab out of fears of blood clots.

"She was supposed to be transferred to Campbelltown Hospital so she could start rehab and come home," Linda Fisher told 9News of her mother Susan.

"They kept putting that off for two or three weeks and that's when she caught COVID.

"There was no return after that, unfortunately."

Susan Fisher was being treated in the neurology ward for chronic pain and had been in hospital for more than a month.

Susan Fisher, 64, from Macquarie Fields in the city's south-west, died in Liverpool Hospital after catching the virus from a nurse.

READ MORE: How to get a COVID-19 vaccination: State-by-state guide

Leave a Comment