Two young women have been charged with breaching COVID-19 public health orders after allegedly travelling from Sydney to the Hunter region.
NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Mick Willing alleged the women – aged 20 and 21 – had a history of violating public health orders, and both stayed in Newcastle after being fined $1000 and asked to leave by police.
He said they have tested positive to coronavirus.
"Overnight, a 21-year-old female and a 20 female were charged with breaching the public health orders by travelling to the Newcastle area around two weeks ago," Mr Willing said.
"Police will be alleging that both of those women have a history of non-compliance with the public health orders."
Police directed the the two women to return to Sydney after they travelled to the Newcastle region late last month.
On July 29, police were checking NSW Opal card checks at Cardiff Train Station when they spoke with a 21-year-old woman on board a northbound train.
She told police she had left the Greater Sydney area and was issued with a warning that she was in breach of the public health order and was told to return to Sydney.
At about 1.45am on the following day, police in Newcastle were called to an address on Sandgate Road, Shortland, for an unrelated matter.
Officers spoke with two women – aged 20 and 21 – in a vehicle parked nearby and requested proof of identification.
Both women provided digital driver's licences showing addresses from Sydney, police said.
Neither were able to give police a reasonable excuse for leaving the Greater Sydney area and they were issued $1000 fines for breaching the Public Health Order.
Both women were directed to return to Sydney and left the location, indicating they would comply with requests from police.
But police allege they failed to leave the area.
Police said the 20-year-old was found to have travelled from Sydney to Newcastle by train on July 27.
"Before the women allegedly attended several other locations whilst in the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie areas," police said in a statement.
The women are due to appear in court in Sydney next month.
Police investigations are continuing.
Newcastle is battling a growing Delta outbreak prompting Premier Gladys Berejiklian to issue a seven-day extension of lockdown orders.
Deputy Commissioner Willing said today Sydneysiders were putting regional areas at risk
"I have to say that people travelling to regional areas from Greater Sydney are putting regional communities at risk," he said.
"If we don't catch you during our compliance operations, which is highly likely, given the amount of resources that are out there on our roads and in our communities, trying to find people in breach of public health orders, we will do so through our investigations."
NSW today reported 390 new local virus cases, with five from the Hunter region.
The stay-at-home orders had been scheduled to lift today but have now been extended to August 20.