Floriade show cancelled as ACT cases grow

Canberra's popular annual flower show, Floriade, has been cancelled this year, as the locked down Australian Capital Territory recorded an "artificially low" eight new cases of coronavirus.

ACT chief minister Andrew Barr said the lockdown was "working", as none of today's new cases had been infectious in the community.

More than 4600 people were tested yesterday, but health officials warned a change to way daily cases were reported today could have produced a lower case number than might be expected.

Floriade 2021 in the ACT has been cancelled because of the Delta coronavirus threat.

Mr Barr said many would be disappointed Floriade, believed to have contributed more than $44 million to the ACT visitor economy in 2019, was not going ahead.

"It's just not safe to operate large-scale events in any capacity in the circumstances."

All of today's eight cases are linked to known cases and were isolating at home.

There are two COVID-19 cases in hospital, but neither patient is in hospital with COVID-related illnesses.

Health officials confirmed exposure site locations had now grown to 290, including Belconnen basketball stadium which was added today.

ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said today's number was "probably artificially low" because reporting cut offs for case numbers had been changed.

She said the announcing of case numbers tomorrow would probably be "back up to what we were seeing yesterday or the day before".

ACT reported 12 cases yesterday and 16 on Friday.

New South Wales today reported 825 new cases, the worst-ever day for any Australian jurisdiction since the pandemic began.

Leave a Comment