Father claims Victoria’s vaccine rules mean he’ll have to sack his son

A man claiming to be a Victorian construction business owner has said he will have to sack his son due to the state government's vaccine mandate.

The man, Peter, told 3AW Breakfast his son was refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

"I have tried to persuade him, but I'm not going to push him into doing something he doesn't want to do," he said.

LIVE UPDATES: 'Cases will go up' – Warning of COVID-19 pressure on health system

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-breakfast-with-ross-and-john/father-says-hes-been-forced-to-sack-his-son-over-o/embed?style=cover

Peter said he had never "cried so much" in his life.

The Victorian government has said all construction industry workers must have at least one dose of the vaccine by this Friday.

The mandate prompted a violent protest at the CMFEU's Melbourne headquarters yesterday, where hundreds of people in hi-vis workwear swarmed the building before being dispersed by police.

READ MORE: Violent construction protest infiltrated with 'neo-Nazis', fake tradies

The Age, News, 20/09/2021, photo by Justin McManus. Construction workers protest outside the office of the CFMEU against mandatory vaccines in the construction industry.

Union boss John Setka said the crowd had been "infiltrated" by neo-Nazis and fake tradies.

"There was a sprinkling of construction workers there, of our members, and the rest were just people, I wouldn't even know who they are," he said.

"All the rent-a-crowds were there, professional protesters."

READ MORE: Victorian construction industry shut down

Mr Setka said the union did not back mandatory vaccinations and that they had been "blindsided" by the government decision.

The $22 billion Victorian construction industry has been shut down for at least two weeks in response to the violent protest and "widespread non-compliance" with COVID-19 restrictions, as transmission continues to rip through the sector.

A second protest is being organised for 10am today.

Leave a Comment