Racing Victoria investigating allegations of illegal luncheon

Racing Victoria is investigating allegations a group of horse trainers allegedly breached COVID-19 restrictions by attending a potentially illegal luncheon in regional Victoria.
It is alleged about a dozen attendees, including trainers, attended a long lunch near Ballarat last week ahead of the Spring Racing Carnival.
Racing Victoria confirmed to 9News today they were aware of the allegations that the number of restaurant attendees may have exceeded the indoor capacity limit for hospitality venues.
READ MORE: Victoria records 1377 new cases of COVID-19
“RV is aware of allegations that the number of attendees at a luncheon involving licensed participants at a regional restaurant may have been in excess of that permitted indoors at hospitality venues in regional Victoria under the current Government restrictions,” the statement read.
“RV is continuing to investigate these allegations.”
READ MORE: Melbourne has spent more days in lockdown than any other world city
When asked about rule-br..

Adelaide woman pulls over to answer call which tells her she’s won $3.3m

An Adelaide woman pulled her car onto the side of the road to answer a phone call to find out she had just become a multi-millionaire.
The woman, in her 60s from Melrose Park in the city, scooped $3.3m on the lottery.
“You've made my day; you've made my life,” The Lott said she replied to them.
LIVE UPDATES: Queensland records new mystery COVID-19 case
“I'm just on the side of the road. I've pulled over. I don't think I can drive home at the moment,” she said.
The woman was one of three winners in the Saturday X Lotto draw, with the other people in her car apparently erupting into celebration when they realised what was going on.
READ MORE: Vaccinated Aussies given the chance to win $1 million
She said she had been playing the lottery for “decades”.
She plans to retire early and spend her windfall on holidays.
READ MORE: Riot squad called to streets of Penrith as fans celebrate Grand Final win

Man arrested after woman pushing pram allegedly sexually assaulted

A man has been arrested after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted whilst pushing a pram on Melbourne's Mornington Peninsula.
The 36-year-old woman was pushing a pram along a track beside The Esplanade, near Strachans Road in Mornington, when a stranger allegedly approached her just after 1.30pm on September 14.
READ MORE: Alleged upskirting in Melbourne shopping centre change rooms
The man allegedly sexually assaulted her and ran off towards Main Street.
Police today confirmed a 29-year-old Pakenham man self-presented at a police station on October 1.
He is currently assisting police with their enquiries.

Hiker claims he spoke with Gabby Petito’s missing partner in US

A US hiker has claimed he saw Gabby Petito's missing partner Brian Laundrie driving along the Appalachian Trail.
Dennis Davis told Fox News he only realised the man may have been Mr Laundrie after the encounter.
Mr Davis said he had been performing a u-turn in his car and stopped to talk to the driver of the car behind him which had allowed him to make the turn.
LIVE UPDATES: Victoria's cases remain high as four die with virus
“I could tell right away that something wasn't right with him,” he said.
Mr Davis told Fox the man had appeared “mentally shot”.
He claimed the man had told him he was trying to get to California to see his girlfriend after they had a fight.
It was only after the other driver departed that Mr Davis wondered if it may have been Mr Laundrie, and he called the FBI after looking up photos of the fugitive on his phone.
READ MORE: New bodycam footage of Gabby Petito unearths dispute with fiancé
Police searched the area but found no trace of Mr Laundrie.
..

Constance didn’t want to ‘dog a mate’ in NSW Premier race

Transport Minister Andrew Constance didn't want to “dog a mate” by fighting Treasurer and race favourite Dominic Perrottet to become the next New South Wales premier.
It was important the party resolved the leadership race quickly, Mr Constance said, given the challenge of the pandemic and guiding Greater Sydney out of a months-long lockdown.
“Knowing the passion that Dom (Perrottet) has had for the role for a long period of time, I wasn't going to dog a mate,” Mr Constance told Today.
READ MORE: The road to resignation: How Gladys Berejiklian came to this point
Mr Perrottet has the backing of two prominent Liberals, Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres and Environment Minister Matt Kean.
But it's not a done deal yet, with Planning Minister Rob Stokes still in the race.
Mr Constance said Gladys Berejiklian was still “in shock” following the rapid turn of events which led to her downfall.
READ MORE: Dominic Perrottet set to become NSW premier
“I'm sure she'll have an e..

NSW Deputy Premier announces resignation

New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro will stand down on Wednesday, just days after the resignation of Premier Gladys Berejiklian.
Mr Barilaro said in a statement he would call for a party meeting on Wednesday where he would officially resign.
“As we emerge from lockdown, we must embrace this time as a new beginning for our State, and welcome the opportunity it presents for a refresh,” he said.
LIVE UPDATES: Expert says NRL final could cause COVID-19 spike
READ MORE: 'I have been given no option': NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian resigns
“I have decided now is the right time for me to hand the reins over to new leadership, and resign as Deputy Premier of NSW.”
Mr Barilaro said he would work with the Speaker and the Electoral Commission in relation to a by-election for his seat of Monaro.
Ms Berejiklian resigned last Friday, following revelations she was being investigated by ICAC.
https://twitter.com/JohnBarilaroMP/status/1444778749245865986Transport Minister Andrew Cons..

Victoria records 1377 new cases of COVID-19, four deaths

Victoria has recorded 1377 new cases of COVID-19 as Melbourne becomes the most locked down city in the world today.
The city has claimed the dubious title from the Argentinean capital of Buenos Aires after passing into its 246th day in lockdown.
The state is preparing to open up once it hits its 70 per cent fully vaccinated milestone later this month.
LIVE UPDATES: Expert says NRL final could cause COVID-19 spike
https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1444781168604459011The Department of Health confirmed another four people died from the virus yesterday.
More than 67,000 people came forward for testing and 30,985 vaccine doses were administered.
There are fears the state could delay the easing of restrictions as hospitals remain pushed to the brink.
Emergency department doctor Jonathan Papson at the Royal Melbourne Hospital said hospitals were being swamped with an influx of COVID-19 patients.
“It's bad – COVID is real,” he told Today.
“We're seeing lots of patients every day.
R..

Alleged upskirting in Melbourne shopping centre change rooms

Police are searching for a man after alleged upskirting took place in the change rooms of two retail stores in Melbourne's north-east.
The man allegedly placed his phone on the ground whilst in the change room with the camera pointing up towards the woman in the next change room.
The two incidents occurred at a South Morang shopping centre sometime between 2pm and 3pm on August 1.
READ MORE: Melbourne becomes world's most locked-down city
Police have released an image and CCTV of a man who may be able to assist with their enquiries.
He is perceived to be Middle Eastern in appearance, aged in his late 30s to 40s, with a shaved head and a solid build.
He was wearing a black jacket, dark top, dark jeans, black face mask and beige boots.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Queensland Police fear for woman and girls reported missing

Police are urgently seeking the public's help in locating a woman and two girls who went missing from Mackay, in central Queensland, on Sunday.
The trio were last seen leaving a Keats Streets address around 5.30am yesterday.
Police and family have concerns for the woman's health and urge her, or anyone with information of her whereabouts, to contact them.
READ MORE: Body found in search for young SA woman missing for weeks
https://twitter.com/QldPolice/status/1444640240736505856?ref_src=twsrc%5EtfwThe woman, 40, is described as Caucasian, 168cm tall, brown hair, brown eyes with a proportionate build.
The girls – aged four and one – are both Caucasian and have light brown hair.
They may be travelling in a 2007 Silver Honda Jazz, with the Queensland registration 506KUQ.
It is not known where they were headed, but it could be north to Townsville or south to Imbil, Maleny or Caboolture, police said.
Queensland Police and family have concerns for the woman's health and urge h..

Leaked records open a Pandora’ box of financial secrets

Hundreds of world leaders, powerful politicians, billionaires, celebrities, religious leaders and drug dealers have been hiding their investments in mansions, exclusive beachfront property, yachts and other assets for the past quarter-century, according to a review of nearly 12 million files obtained from 14 firms located around the world.
The report released by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists involved 600 journalists from 150 media outlets in 117 countries. It's being dubbed the “Pandora Papers” because the findings shed light on the previously hidden dealings of the elite, and how they have used offshore accounts to shield assets collectively worth trillions of dollars.
The more than 330 current and former politicians identified as beneficiaries of the secret accounts include Jordan’s King Abdullah II, former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair, Czech Republic Prime Minister Andrej Babis, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, Ecuador's President Guillermo La..