With COVID-19 figures showing children and teenagers are increasingly bearing the brunt of Australia's third wave, questions are being raised about how soon kids might be included in the country's vaccination rollout. According to NSW Health statistics, there have been more than double the amount of COVID-19 cases in patients aged zero to 19 years old than the next highest age bracket over the past seven weeks. Speaking at today's press conference, NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said a key feature of the Delta strain of COVID-19 was its ability to spread among children. READ MORE: Playground transmission investigated as children COVID-19 cases spike "We're also seeing outbreaks in childcare centres and that's a feature we haven't seen in previous outbreaks," Dr Chant said. "Because the Delta strain seems to be able to transmit more in the childhood setting." The trend has also been apparent in Victoria where of the 246 active cases of COVID-19,..
A man who claimed he was taking the garbage bins out when he was supposed to be isolating was handed one of more than 700 fines by NSW Police in the last 24 hours. NSW Police has issued 736 coronavirus-related infringements in the past day, 448 of which were to people outside their homes without a good reason. The Padstow man who told police he was taking the rubbish out when officers called him was fined $5000. LIVE UPDATES: One in two Aussies will soon have had first jab Also among those penalised were five people from Sydney working on a construction site in Kiama. Police went to an address in Kiama on Monday after receiving information about workers allegedly from Sydney staying on the South Coast. Officers spoke to the occupants at a property on North Kiama Drive who were part of a construction team, building a unit complex on Collins Street, Kiama. The next day police went to the worksite and saw a number of the workers flee to a nearby car park. READ MORE: NSW records 633 new lo..
Coles Group has reported a full-year profit of $1.01 billion, up more than seven per cent despite COVID-19 lockdowns impacting shopping centres around the country. Releasing its annual financial report today, the supermarket giant reported a 3.1 per cent lift in sales revenue to $38.6 billion and a lift in online sales to $2.1 billion. The supermarket said the impressive headline figures came despite the business weathering eleven separate state lockdowns during the financial year. READ MORE: 'Get security on the door': Supermarkets urged to step up "Conditions in the early part of the first quarter remain volatile as outbreaks of the COVID-19 Delta variant have led to multiple lockdowns across the country," the group noted in its outlook for FY22. "As the number of snap lockdowns increased, and the New South Wales lockdown was extended, 'local shopping' trends have re-emerged with eCommerce and neighbourhood stores outperforming shopping centre and CBD locations." ..
An aid worker heading up the Red Cross mission in Afghanistan has pleaded with countries to help, saying agencies face a "dire" situation. Necephor Mghendi, delegation head for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, said the resurgence of the Taliban had exacerbated a humanitarian crisis Afghanistan had been in for "many, many years". He said the worst drought in decades was already gripping the country, leading to a wheat shortfall that has caused malnutrition in children. READ MORE: Former British soldier lashes US and UK over Afghanistan withdrawal chaos It's estimated about 11 million Afghans do not have enough food. Mr Mghendi warned the armed conflict and Taliban takeover would cause "displacement" as people fled villages and towns that have been overrun by the Taliban. He said the agency had recently issued a public plea for $US15 million ($20.6 million) to combat problems associated with the drought, but just 9 per cent of that had been raise..
A snap three-day lockdown for Darwin and Katherine is on track to be lifted tomorrow after the state recorded no new local COVID-19 cases for the second day in a row. NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner said he was "fairly confident" but not certain the lockdown would end at midday tomorrow. "At the moment, it's looking pretty sweet," Mr Gunner said. READ MORE: New Zealand COVID-19 infection came from NSW He said the government would work today on what restrictions would need to remain after stay-at-home orders were lifted. It is likely Territorians will have to wear masks in public for the next week. Confirmation is set to come tomorrow. A total of 2128 people were tested yesterday in the Northern Territory, all of whom returned a negative result. A total of 81 close contacts are still in the NT, and all are in isolation, with all but one tested. The untested case is a sailor on a ship offshore in international waters, who has been contacted. Residents in Darwin and Katherine..
A Sydney resident is $11 million richer but they just don't know it yet. The mystery ticketholder held the only division one winning entry across Australia in Oz Lotto draw 1435, drawn on Tuesday, August 17. The entry was purchased at Rosebery North Newsagency, 68 Dalmeny Avenue, Rosebery and was not registered to a player card. READ MORE: Dog reunited with its owners after it was allegedly stolen This means officials from The Lott have no way of contacting the winner and have to wait for them to check their ticket. Rosebery North Newsagency manager Min Chai said he couldn't wait to break the news to the division one winner. "It's been a little while since we last sold a division one winning entry, so we couldn't be happier," he said. READ MORE: 'Be kind to yourself': Sydney beach walk's uplifting lockdown messages The Lott spokesperson Lauren Cooney said the mystery Oz Lotto winner added to the list of unclaimed division one prizes in Sydney. "Curren..
A Melbourne sex worker is among the latest mystery cases in the state as concerns rise about unlinked infections growing in the St Kilda area. However, there is "no evidence" the St Kilda sex worker is the missing link to the mystery cases spreading in the bayside area, COVID-19 Response Commander Jeroen Weimar said today. There are 15 mystery cases in the broader St Kilda area which public health teams are racing to connect to the state's rising COVID-19 clusters. READ MORE: Victoria records 24 new COVID-19 cases "I have to stress, there are no known linkages between the 15 individuals I've called out in the broader St Kilda area at all," Mr Weimar said. Health Minister Martin Foley said the female sex worker was self-isolating due to her positive diagnosis, with one other person also connected to her infection. "I can confirm that the reports that a positive case in recent days is a sex worker," he said. "I can also confirm that person is safely quarantining and is under th..
Farmers are seeing troubling signs that the mouse plague that devastated regional communities earlier this year could surge again, in perhaps a bigger and more widespread way. The mouse plague may have been halted in wintertime as the pests stop breeding, their high numbers going into the colder months means exponentially higher numbers coming into spring. Even though it is still mid-August, CSIRO mouse expert Steve Henry said mouse numbers were already gaining momentum across the country. READ MORE: Farmers trade tips for building homemade mousetraps amid plague "As I talk to people in the rural communities, I'm speaking to more and more farmers who are baiting up already," he told 9News. "(Mice) can have six to 10 babies every 19 to 21 days after they start breeding." After years of drought, farmers across the country are expecting bumper crops. And with that comes mice gorging themselves on grain, canola and legumes, and breeding at an extraordinary pace. Mr Henry said he was g..
Queensland has recorded zero new local cases of COVID-19, as restrictions for 11 LGA's have been brought forward to ease on Friday. Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said that one new case was detected in hotel quarantine and three new cases on an offshore tanker. Restrictions surrounding community sport, gatherings, weddings, funerals, indoor and outdoor events, which were originally set to ease on Sunday at 4pm, will now be eased on Friday at 4pm. READ MORE: NSW records 633 new local cases of COVID-19 Easing of restrictions will affect the local government areas of Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Ipswich, Lockyer, Somerset, Logan, Redland, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Noosa and Scenic Rim. Thirty people will be allowed in homes and public spaces, while weddings and funerals can have up to 100 people. Community sport can resume with reduced spectators and there will be a 75 per cent capacity for indoor ticketed events and stadiums. However residents will still need to carry a face ..
The Australian Capital Territory has recorded 22 new local coronavirus cases overnight amid concern more schools are linked to transmissions. Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the ACT cluster had grown to 67, with 63 of those all linked to a known cluster. "Fortunately all 22 of the new cases can be linked to existing cases and due to the excellent work of our contact-tracers," Mr Barr said. "Now is not the time to be easing restrictions," he warned. LIVE UPDATES: NSW records 633 new cases, three deaths There are 12,500 people in quarantine in the ACT. Mr Barr said 57 per cent of people in the ACT have had a first dose of the vaccine, and one third are fully vaccinated. This is above the national average. ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said all of today's cases are linked, "which is fabulous news". "Only four of the 67 cases are still under investigation," she added. There are also more than 190 exposures sites across the ACT, and Dr Coleman asked people to continue to ..