NSW travellers must show proof of vaccination to enter WA

Western Australia will tighten its hard border with New South Wales as of 12.01am on August 17, requiring all travellers to have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine before entering the state.
WA Premier Mark McGowan said the worsening coronavirus situation in the state meant he had no choice but to declare NSW a 'high risk' category.
LIVE UPDATES: Woman in her 40s among two new NSW deaths
The tough new border measures mean approved, exempt travellers entering WA must return a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of departure, be vaccinated with at least one dose where eligible, and use the G2G app while undertaking hotel quarantine for 14 days.
The measures are on top of existing quarantine requirements.
“The risk to Western Australia is too high,” Mr McGowan said.
“What is happening in NSW continues to be a growing concern.
“There is no sign of the situation improving in coming weeks.
“These are tough measures but are necessary to protect the state.”
WA is also cha..

Two women charged with breaching COVID-19 health orders in NSW Hunter region

Two young women have been charged with breaching COVID-19 public health orders after allegedly travelling from Sydney to the Hunter region.
NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Mick Willing alleged the women – aged 20 and 21 – had a history of violating public health orders, and both stayed in Newcastle after being fined $1000 and asked to leave by police.
He said they have tested positive to coronavirus.
LIVE: NSW Records 390 new cases, woman in 40s among two deaths
“Overnight, a 21-year-old female and a 20 female were charged with breaching the public health orders by travelling to the Newcastle area around two weeks ago,” Mr Willing said.
“Police will be alleging that both of those women have a history of non-compliance with the public health orders.”
Police directed the the two women to return to Sydney after they travelled to the Newcastle region late last month.
On July 29, police were checking NSW Opal card checks at Cardiff Train Station when they spoke with a 21-year-old woman on bo..

Victoria’s bold vaccine plan to get ‘a million jabs into a million arms’

A plan to vaccinate one million Victorians against COVID-19 in the coming five weeks has been revealed after a further 15 cases were recorded in the state.
Premier Daniel Andrews has announced the AstraZeneca vaccine will now be available to everyone over 18 at all 50 state vaccination hubs to get “a million jabs into a million arms” by 19 September.
He has said more drive-through and mobile vaccinations clinics will pop up around Melbourne.
LIVE UPDATES: Four mysteries among 15 new Victorian COVID-19 cases
A drive-through site is planned for Wyndam in Melbourne's south-east, and the Hume and Whittlesea areas.
The details of these sites are still being determined.
Mr Andrews said the new target was a “significant undertaking” that came off the back of the thousands of young people showing enthusiasm to get vaccinated.
It follows Victoria recording its highest number of vaccines administer at state clinics in a day yesterday, with 27,427 people getting vaccinated.
The Premier sai..

Arrest after couple found stabbed to death in Blue Mountains home

A man has been arrested after the alleged double murder of a man and woman in the Blue Mountains.
Police found the bodies of a man and woman with stab wounds when they were called to do a welfare check at a home on On-Avon Avenue, Oberon, at 7.15am this morning.
A 46-year-old man was arrested in Penrith, in Sydney's west, shortly after police commenced their investigation.
LIVE UPDATES: Hundreds of transport workers in isolation, services affected
He was treated for minor injuries and taken to Nepean Hospital where he is under police guard.
The couple have not yet been formally identified.
The arrested man is known to the deceased couple, police said.
“A crime scene was established and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths commenced,” NSW Police said.
Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Queensland’s seven new COVID-19 cases all in isolation

Queensland has recorded seven new local COVID-19 cases, all linked to the Indooroopilly cluster in the state's south-east.
All of the cases have been in isolation throughout their infectious periods.
It brings the total number of cases linked to the Indooroopilly cluster to 137.
LIVE UPDATES: Vaccine passport system 'key to recovery'
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk noted a number of today's positive cases have tested positive on days 10, 11 and 12 of their isolation periods, demonstrating the importance of adhering to the full 14 days of isolation.
There has also been one case in an overseas traveller in hotel quarantine.
Ms Palaszczuk described the figures as great news but once again expressed her concern about how the New South Wales clusters “are continuing to expand”.
READ MORE: Son of man who sparked Byron Bay lockdown also charged by police
The premier will be meeting with NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian along with the prime minister and other state a..

German nurse accused of injecting fake COVID-19 vaccines

Thousands of people in Germany have been called to check in for a vaccine re-do after a nurse was believed to have swapped out the COVID-19 jab for a saline solution.
German authorities said more than 8000 people had been asked to get a repeat Pfizer vaccination.
The nurse allegedly admitted in April to injecting six people with the saline to cover up her dropping a vial of the vaccine, the BBC reported.
READ MORE: Son of man who sparked Byron Bay lockdown also charged by police
However, authorities now believe the 40-year-old nurse had injected many more people with the salt solution.
The saline is harmless in itself, but the lack of a proper vaccine would compromise peoples' defences against COVID-19.
READ MORE: NSW COVID-19 case numbers, exposures sites and latest restrictions
German authorities claimed the nurse had been sharing “corona-critical information” on social media.
Many of those who have been affected are in the high-risk over-70s age group.
Police are still investig..

Victoria records 15 new infections

Victoria has recorded 15 new local coronavirus cases amid warnings the number of mystery infections across Melbourne are preventing the state from easing lockdown.
Four of today's cases are still under investigation and eleven are linked to current outbreaks, with just eight in quarantine throughout their infectious periods.
A commendable 40,737 Victorians came out for testing yesterday, but president of the Australian Medical Association of Victoria warned it's mystery cases that are of the “greatest concern”.
READ MORE: COVID-positive travellers fined $5452 each for flying to Melbourne
“Anytime there's a mystery case, it's indicating that there's somebody out there that is spreading COVID-19,” Roderick McRae told Today.
“They may not be symptomatic, they may be mildly symptomatic, they are clearly not attending for testing and they are transmitting the virus. It's of great concern.
“While we have these unaccounted for and mystery cases, it just is not sa..

Police confirm ‘serious firearms incident’ in southwest England

Several people have died at the scene of a “serious firearms incident” on Thursday in Plymouth, southwest England, according to a police statement.
The incident is not being treated as terror-related, a local representative said on Twitter.
In a statement, Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Police were called to a serious firearms incident in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of Plymouth at around 6.10 pm today (local time)”.
“Officers and ambulance staff attended,” police said.
“There have been a number of fatalities at the scene and several other casualties are receiving treatment.
“A critical incident has been declared.”
The police added that the area has been cordoned off and that the situation is believed to be contained.
Police also appealed to the public to not “speculate or share pictures of the scene on social media or anywhere else.”
Johnny Mercer, a Member of Parliament (MP) for Plymouth Moor View, said in a tweet that the incident is “not terror-related,” and that the suspect..

Pubs, restaurants could open for fully vaccinated patrons in weeks

Thousands of Sydneysiders are waking to tougher restrictions this morning, after three more council areas were plunged into a stricter coronavirus lockdown.
A COVID-19 alert has also been issued for the state's vaccination hub at Sydney Olympic Park for Tuesday, potentially affecting thousands of Year 12 students.
Bayside, Burwood and Strathfield have been added to the newly classified areas of high concern, where exercise and shopping is now limited to just five kilometres from home.
An additional 265,000 people live in the council areas.
READ MORE: 'Absolutely devastating': 18 cases linked to Sydney special education school outbreak
Authorities are also looking closely at the nearby Inner West and Camden, south of Sydney, which are at risk of becoming included after traces of the virus was found in sewerage.
Ninety per cent of the NSW population is now in lockdown.
But there is hope on the horizon for the struggling hospitality sector, with NSW Health in talks to allow..